The Most Dangerous Drug in the World
Scopolamine: Scopolamine is a colorless, tasteless, odorless drug. It is also known as hyoscine and is classified as a tropane alkaloid. The drug can be obtained from plants in the Solanacea (nightshade) family. Most scopolamine comes from jimsome weed, or as in Columbia, borrachero trees. The plants it can be derived from are many, and abundantly available. This makes its use widespread, and exceedingly dangerous. It is, surprisingly, one of the most feared substances in what is arguably the drug capital of the world, Columbia. In Columbia alone, there are over 50,000 reported cases of Scopolamine drugging, although rarely does this receive media attention, in Columbia or elsewhere. The drug is used almost primarily by criminals as a way of making victims so docile that they have been known to help thieves rob their own homes and empty their own bank accounts. Additionally, women have been drugged repeatedly and held as sex slaves, or have been convinced to willingly give up their own children. The most horrifying side effect of the drug is not is ability to make zombies of its victims, but the complete amnesia it causes.
“BOGOTA, Colombia (Reuters) – The last thing Andrea Fernandez recalls before being drugged is holding her newborn baby on a Bogota city bus. Police found her three days later, muttering to herself and wandering topless along the median strip of a busy highway. Her face was badly beaten and her son was gone. In the case of Fernandez, the mother of three was rendered submissive enough to surrender her youngest child.”
Scopolamine can be administered easily into a victim’s drink, or food. It’s powdered form can also simply be blown in a victims general direction. The result of this type of drugging is typically either immediate death from overdose, or severe intoxication. There have been reported cases of women putting scopolamine on their breasts, and then enticing their male victims into licking their breasts, thereby drugging them. The following is a short documentary about the drug Scopolamine as produced for VBS.tv. It takes a look at the drug, its prevalence in Columbia, its uses and its dangers;
Interesting Scopolamine Facts:
1. Scopolamine was used as a chemical defense in cocaine cases: This is because the chemical formula for cocaine, C17H21NO4, is identical to that of Scopolamine. Both have the same molecular formula but have differing structures, causing the different effects of each drug.
2. In a 1963 Supreme Court Case, Townsend vs. Sain, it was concluded that “serum-induced confession” was a form of torture and therefore unconstitutional. The ruling was based on the confessions of Townsend, whose admissions were made under the influence of Scopolamine.
3. In 1922 it occurred to Robert House, a Dallas, Texas obstetrician, that the drug scopolamine could be employed in the interrogation of suspected criminals. Scopolamine was later used by Dr. House on criminals under interrogation in Dallas. His experiment attracted wide attention, and the idea of a “truth” drug was thus launched upon the public consciousness.
4. In the early 1920’s, a Dallas obstetrician named Dr. Robert House concluded that Scopolamine could be used to interrogate criminals, based on his experiences with women under the influence of the drug. Dr House was later allowed to conduct experiments with the drug on criminals in interrogation, which received wide attention, catapulting the idea of a “truth serum” into public consciousness.
5. Treatment with scopolamine hydrobromide blocks muscarinic cholinergic receptors and produces a rapid, robust antidepressant response in depressed patients with unipolar or bipolar depression, Maura L. Furey, Ph.D., reported at an international congress sponsored by the World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry -http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-166189623.html
6. Early in this century physicians began to employ scopolamine, along with morphine and chloroform, to induce a state of “twilight sleep” during childbirth. In this twilight sleep, doctors noticed patients answered questions accurately and provided exceptionally candid answers. -Reuters via cursor.org.
7. Scopolamine was one of a number of drugs used in a now declassified secret CIA program to discover mind control drugs. The project was known as Project MK Ultra. -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKULTRA
8. Scopolamine is often taken as one half of a medication known as “ScopeDex,” which is a combination of Scopolamine and Dexedrine. It is given to astronauts and people in similar training to prevent nausea and vomiting.
Firsthand Experience of Scopolamine Ingestion: (taken by a 35 year old male, 185lbs, 7g of Scopolamine)
1. +30 minutes: Onset of peripheral anti-cholinergic symptoms, e.g. dry mouth, blurred vision, dilated pupils, hyperpyrexia, red hands and feet and flushed face. Some noticeable ataxia and poor sentence construction.
2. +1 hour: Definite delirium setting in. Substantial decrease of muscle tone, resulting in clumsy walking. Much banging into walls and stumbling over nothing whatsoever. Heart-rate is very fast.
3. +2 hours: Muscles almost completely relaxed, so that walking is now impossible (can barely crawl, however). Forehead feels feverish. Hearing is impaired. Pupils are monstrously dilated. Colors are very rich and bright, as with Cannabis intoxication. Visual perceptual resolution is poor; text appears blurry no matter how hard subject squints or concentrates. Depth perception is severely impaired, making it impossible to appropriately reach for even nearby objects without over- or under-reaching.
4. +3 hours: The walls are breathing; objects are swirling about and taking on living forms, making for a generally nightmarish scenario. Subject has NO INSIGHT WHATSOEVER; these are REAL HALLUCINATIONS, unlike the fanciful visions and distortions that one obtains on indoleamine psychedelic drugs. Terrifying.
5. +4 hours and onwards: Muscles are so weak that even lifting a finger seems to take superhuman strength. Subject feels an oppressive force pinning him down on the bed, paralyzing him. Visual field is completely obscured by various living forms and blurry splotches. Throat is parched; tongue feels sandy. Subject does not know where he is; does not know whether he is even awake or dreaming, does not know who he is; does not know why he feels so shitty; etc. Subject pledges his soul to the demon who is sitting on him in exchange for a refreshing drink of water. The demon takes his soul, doesn’t provide the agreed-upon water. Subject resigns himself to eternal damnation.
6. +16 hours: Subject finds himself at work, utterly perplexed. He realizes that he is in the middle of a conversation with someone, asks for that person to repeat what was just said. Somehow manages to handle everything at work without stirring too much suspicion. Vaguely recalls waking up in the morning midway down the basement stairs. Luckily, no injuries other than bruises. Concludes that he must fallen down the stairs while sleepwalking. Later that day, subject is shocked to discover that he had completed a sizeable amount of rather demanding paperwork earlier in the workday, with no recollection of even being delegated this task. Because of blurry vision, reading is somewhat difficult.
7. +20 hours: Subject comes home, sees a bowl of cooked rice sitting in the refrigerator – does not recall ever cooking rice. Also finds a toothbrush and some floss (most of it pulled out and then wrapped around the dispenser) on his nightstand, and a remote control in the bathroom. Pupils are still fucking hugely dilated. Subject has paranoid ideation about various entities lurking throughout his house, sees fleeting creatures in his peripheral vision.
8. 8.)+48 hours: Subject’s memory and sanity are more or less back to normal, but he is deeply shaken and full of regret for ever thinking of experimenting with an ant cholinergic deliriant. -Erowid.com
9. 9.) The following is a link to a more alarming story of a higher dose of the drug: http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=54912 The following is a video of three people actually high on Scopolamine. The people in this video apparently ate the seeds of the borrechero tree, becoming highly intoxicated.Read More
If there is one bloated and unnecessary service that you should immediately disable, it’s definitely the Indexing Service built into Windows XP. The idea behind it is that you can search for files more quickly if it is enabled…. but you are using Google Desktop for that, right?
The indexing service seems to eat up a lot of CPU on every machine I’ve used, especially when you have the amount of files that I’ve got. Let’s disable it.
- Navigate to the Services console via Administrative Tools.
- Double-click on the Indexing Service and change the startup type to disabled.
- Hit the stop button if it is started, which is likely, and then hit OK.
Yet another unnecessary service stopped!Read More
This seems to help out with the memory usage quite a bit. Generally, when you minimize a window the memory usage goes way down because that application isn’t active. Unfortunately, Firefox by default doesn’t adhere to this behavior. Here’s how to force it to.
Type the following into your address bar in Firefox:
You will see a window that looks similar to this:
You will want to right click anywhere in the window, choose New, Boolean, and enter in the following text:
To change the value you can either doubleclick, or right-click and choose Toggle. You will have to restart Firefox, but after you do, you should notice the memory usage go way down whenever you have Firefox minimized.
Update: You will want the value to be set to True in order for this to work.Read More
The Bard’s Tale (RPG) Series was my first official introduction into the world of computer gaming. They were the best games I can ever remember playing.
List to other related sites :
The Bard’s Tale Compendium – The best of the best Bard’s Tale sites. Has all documents, maps, and info you could want.
The Compendium Community – Yahoo Groups Forum
Bard’s Tale Novels – Listing of soft cover books that were inspired by the game.
Beyond Bard’s Tale –
Icewind Dale – Contraband (Bill ‘Burger’ Heineman)
Baldurs Gate – Contraband (Bill ‘Burger’ Heineman)
NeverWinter Nights – Download DemoGrabbed from The Bard’s Tale Compendium : (Thanks – great site!)
From Bard’s Tale Compendium (Data Mirror) :
The Bard’s Tale series of games were created by Michael Cranford, pictured at left. He has an elegant programmer’s touch. You can’t see it in this picture of him, but you can see it in The Bard’s Tale series. Before launching The Bard’s Tale phenomenon, he had previously programmed the Apple version of the classic Donkey Kong arcade game, the Commodore 64 version of Super Zaxxon — not to mention a Commodore 64 game entitled Maze Master which plays like a “beta” version of The Bard’s Tale.The Bard’s Tale was the fourth game created by Interplay Productions, and it was distributed by Electronic Arts. As “Burger” Bill Heineman explains,
“Brian Fargo was the main guy, he and Jay Patel, Troy Worrell and myself were the first 4 people who were Interplay… In 1984, Mike Cranford suggested that Interplay Productions should do a fantasy role playing game (Wizardry was hot at the time). However the game’s name was ‘Tales of the Unknown’… Mike never ‘worked’ for Interplay. He was an independent contractor. he was able to do this since he was an old high school buddy of Brian Fargo. Cranford worked in an office at Interplay up until the completion of Bard’s Tale I. He did Bard’s Tale II from his home.”
Many fans of the Bard’s Tale series don’t realize that its creator has a very strong Christian faith which is even evident in the games-for example, there are direct references to Jesus and His crucifixion in The Bard’s Tale, and all but one of the city names from the second game are taken directly out of the New Testament of the Bible. (In fact, the power of the Destiny Knight in The Bard’s Tale II is clearly stated to actually be that of the Holy Spirit.) When I asked Michael why he was not directly involved in The Bard’s Tale III, he told me that,
“The reason I wasn’t involved in BTIII is complicated. Part of it was that I wanted to leave Interplay so that I could go back to school. I was pretty burnt out on D&D game programming . . . and wanted to pursue studies in philosophy and theology. I also thought I didn’t need Interplay at that point, and had a falling out with Brian Fargo. It turned out to be a good decision spiritually, though not financially!”
And he wasn’t kidding-after leaving Interplay, Michael earned a bachelors degree in philosophy from the University of California, a Master of Divinity from Talbot School of Theology, and a Ph.D. in Religion and Social Ethics from the University of Southern California with a disertation focus on ethics and technology. He has taught both graduate and undergraduate courses in ethics and theology, and has publications in several New Testament journals and in scholarly journals of ethics and contemporary postmodern culture.
Michael is also founder and senior designer of the Irvine, California web site design company, Ninth Degree.
Not surprisingly, his very first Internet web design project was a web site for Christian outreach called Sundoulos, “the web’s premier forum for discussions on theology, ethics, and culture.”
I found a humourous WAV file on the Sundoulos web site from a lecture Michael Cranford gave on fasting where he talks briefly about how “Burger” Bill Heineman got his nickname. (Bill is the fellow responsible for Thief of Fate.)
Of course, many other talented folks were involved in the creation of The Bard’s Tale series, and, not surprisingly some of them have gone on to have extremely successful careers. Just to name a few:
* Brian Fargo helped create maps for the first two games, and served as director on the third. He was CEO and Chairman of the Board of Directors for Interplay (Interplay grew to make its IPO in June 1998 and listed assets of more than $65 million in the year 2000, employing over 400 people). In 2002, Brian Fargo left Interplay to start a new company, inXile Entertainment – their first project was a new game entitled, you guessed it, “The Bard’s Tale.” (This new Bard’s Tale is an irreverent console-style top-down action game.)
* Michael A. Stackpole, Todd J. Camasta, Bill HeinemanMichael A. Stackpole (pictured at right) created the basic storyline of the third game, and made maps for it. He has since become a successful author, and recently penned a many novels in the hugely popular Star Wars and BattleTech series.
* Lawrence Holland composed the music and programmed the music interface for the first game. He went on to create the famous Star Wars: X-Wing series of games for LucasArts, and is now running his own game company, Totally Games, formed from the team which created the X-Wing games.
* “Burger” Bill Heineman (pictured at right) filled Michael Cranford’s shoes on the third game, designing and programming it. His new company, Contraband Entertainment, once tabled a proposal for another trilogy of Bard’s Tale games.
* Dave Warhol composed the music for the second game. He founded Realtime Associates in 1986, which created console games for platforms like the Nintendo N64, Sony Playstation, and Sega Saturn.
* Feargus Urquhart, a play tester for The Bard’s Tale Construction Set, went on to found the influential RPG game developers Black Isle Studios in 1998, and Obsidian Entertainment in 2003.
The Bard’s Tale
and Lead Programmer
Roe Adams III
Package and Manual Copy
Author and Screen Photography
(The Bard’s Tale Construction Set credits can be found on the Construction Set page.)
The Destiny Knight
Game Concept, Design,
and Program Design
Todd J. Camasta
Nancy L. Fong
Jonny C. Kwan
Lagoth Zanta’s Name by
David K. Simerly
Thief of Fate
Michael A. Stackpole
Michael A. Stackpole
Todd J. Camasta
Playtest & Development
Nancy L. Fong
Front Cover Art
Inside Package Art
Zina J. Yee
Acknowledgements from the Bard’s Tale manual
Michael Cranford wishes to acknowledge:
The great illustrator David Lowery, for fantastic monster pictures, city buildings and dungeon walls; my buddy Lawrence Holland, for such great music; the devious Brian Fargo, for the treacherous design of Harkyn’s Castle and Mangar’s worst two levels; Bill Heineman, for data compression routines that allowed me to pack so much graphics and animation; and the following play-testers who helped this program be its very best: Caren Edelstein, Jay Patel, Philip Ybarra, Ayman Adham, Carl Ybarra, Mike Easting.
Acknowledgements from the Thief of Fate manual
I, Bill Heineman, wish to acknowledge that Thief of Fate couldn’t have been done without the help and the long hours of work from many people. Thanks to these people for helping me bring this game to life: Brian Fargo for having the vision to let me begin this project. Michael A. Stackpole for coming up with the basic storyline, the maps and the text found throughout the game. Todd J. Camasta, whose artistic talent knows no bounds. Kurt Heiden who spent many days composing the music that the famous Bards now sing. Bruce Schlickbernd for composing additional text, for the songs sung in the Bard’s Halls, and also for finding all those nasty little bugs that seem to create themselves. Dave Albert, Chris Wilson, James Bailey, and Jennifer King for playing the game until their fingers fell off… These people helped make Thief of Fate into a masterpiece of role- playing fantasy. I hope you will enjoy our work.
The Water Carrier
January 21 to February 19
Friendly and humanitarian
Honest and loyal
Original and inventive
Independent and intellectual
On the dark side….
Intractable and contrary
Perverse and unpredictable
Unemotional and detached
Aquarius About Your Sign…
Aquarians basically possess strong and attractive personalities. They fall into two principle types: one shy, sensitive, gentle and patient; the other exuberant, lively and exhibitionist, sometimes hiding the considerable depths of their character under a cloak of frivolity. Both types are strong willed and forceful in their different ways and have strong convictions, though as they seek truth above all things, they are usually honest enough to change their opinions, however firmly held, if evidence comes to light which persuades them that they have been mistaken. They have a breadth of vision that brings diverse factors into a whole, and can see both sides of an argument without shilly-shallying as to which side to take. Consequently they are unprejudiced and tolerant of other points of view. This is because they can see the validity of the argument, even if they do not accept it themselves. They obey the Quaker exhortation to “Be open to truth, from whatever source it comes,” and are prepared to learn from everyone.
Both types are humane, frank, serious minded, genial, refined, sometimes ethereal, and idealistic, though this last quality is tempered with a sensible practicality. They are quick, active and persevering without being self-assertive, and express themselves with reason, moderation and sometimes, a dry humor.
They are nearly always intelligent, concise, clear and logical. Many are strongly imaginative and psychically intuitive, so that the Age of Aquarius, which is about to begin, is much anticipated by psychic circles as an age in which mankind will experience a great spiritual awakening. The Aquarian philosophical and spiritual bent may be dangerous in that it can drive the subjects into an ivory-tower existence where they meditate on abstractions that bear little relevance to life. On the other hand it can help the many who have scientific leanings to combine these with the Aquarian yearning for the universal recognition of the brotherhood of man, and to embark on scientific research to fulfill their philanthropic ideals of benefiting mankind. When some cause or work of this nature inspires them, they are capable of such devotion to it that they may drive themselves to the point of exhaustion and even risk injuring their health.
Both types need to retire from the world at times and to become temporary loners. They appreciate opportunities for meditation or, if they are religious, of retreats. Even in company they are fiercely independent, refusing to follow the crowd. They dislike interference by others, however helpfully intended, and will accept it only on their own terms. Normally they have good taste in drama, music and art, and are also gifted in the arts, especially drama.
In spite of the often intensely magnetic, forthcoming and open personality of the more extrovert kind of Aquarian, and of their desire to help humanity, neither type makes friends easily. They sometimes appear to condescend to others and take too little trouble to cultivate the acquaintance of people who do not particularly appeal to them.
They do not give themselves easily – perhaps their judgment of human nature is too good for that – and are sometimes accounted cold. But once they decide that someone is worthy of their friendship or love, they can exert an almost hypnotic and irresistible mental attraction on them and will themselves become tenacious friends or lovers, ready to sacrifice everything for their partners and be faithful to them for life. However, they are sometimes disappointed emotionally because their own high personal ideals cause them to demand more of others than is reasonable. And if they are deceived their anger is terrible. If disillusioned, they do not forgive.
Aquarians work best in group projects, provided that they are recognized as having a leading part in them. They have a feeling of unity with nature and a desire for knowledge and truth that makes them admirable scientists, especially astronomers and natural historians. They may excel in photography, radiography, electronics – anything connected with the electrical and radio industries – aviation and everything technical. On the arts and humanities side their progressive tendencies can be expressed in writing, especially poetry, and broadcasting, or as welfare workers and teachers. Some have gifts as entertainers and make good character actors (having an ability to mimic) and musicians. The more psychic among them possess healing gifts, especially in curing the mentally sick.
Among the faults to which they are liable are fanatical eccentricity, wayward egotism, excessive detachment and an inclination to retreat from life and society, and a tendency to be extremely dogmatic in their opinions. Aquarians can be a threat to all they survey or a great boon for humanity in general. Circumstances – for example, continuous opposition to a cause they hold dear – may cause the atrophy of the openness of mind that is one of the Aquarian’s most attractive traits. They may express a lack of integrity in broken promises, secretiveness or cunning. Simmering anger and resentment, rudeness or, worse, a tense, threatening silence which may suddenly burst out in eruptions of extreme temper, these are all part of the negative side of the Aquarian. This can also reveal itself in a sustained hatred for enemies that is capable of enlarging itself into a misanthropy toward the whole of mankind.
Possible Health Concerns...
As Aquarius is said to govern the legs from knees to ankles and the circulation of blood, its natives are susceptible to ailments particularly in the legs and ankles, such as cramps, and are also liable to spasmodic and nervous complaints, as well as wind, catarrh, diarrhea, dropsy, goiter and delirium tremens – so that the avoidance of alcohol is important for those Aquarians who have a taste for it.
- Fighting for Causes
- Dreaming and Planning for the Future
- Thinking of the Past
- Good Companions
- Having Fun
- Full of Air Promises
- Excessive Loneliness
- The Ordinary
PROBLEMS THAT MAY ARISE FOR YOU, AND THEIR SOLUTIONS
As with all sun signs, we all have unique traits to our personalities. When these traits are suppressed, or unrealized, problems will arise. However, with astrology we can examine the problem and assess the proper solution based on the sun sign characteristics. As an Aquarius you may see things below that really strike home. Try the solution, you most likely will be amazed at the results. If you find yourself on the receiving end of the negatives below, it is because you are failing to express the positive.
Problem: Being left all alone while others enjoy the companionship you long for.
Solution: You should practice expressing your humanity by accepting people the way they are and not find too much fault in them.
Problem: You always seem to miss the boat when it comes to love.
Solution: Try letting down the mental guard that you keep on your emotions that stops you from being the self you long to be.
Problem: You always seem to miss out on the better jobs or big promotions at work.
Solution: Learn to use your positive side in teamwork and group effort, the lone wolf approach will get you nowhere.
Problem: You seem to become physically ill more than you should.
Solution: By repressing your emotions you drive the unrest deep inside where it can cost you in terms of health. Express your feelings but do it with tact.
Your ruling planet is URANUS
Mean distance from the Sun(AU) 19.218
Sidereal period of orbit(years) 84.01
Equatorial radius(km) 25559
Polar radius(km) 24973
Body rotation period(hours) 17.24
Tilt of equator to orbit(degrees) 97.92
Number of observed satellites 15
Some more interesting facts about your sign:
The symbol associated with your sign is the water bearer, it is symbolic of the Gods nourishing the earth with life giving energies. One of the first to be called the water bearer was the Greek God Zeus in mythology.
The color of choice for Aquarius is TURQUOISE
The beautiful Turquoise is your starstone.
The name comes from the French “turquoise”, which means “Turkey” as in the original localities in Persia (today Iran). Since before 4000 BC Turquoise has been used and coveted. It can be pure in color or may contain secondary minerals. If the matrix forms a pattern of interlocking polygons it is called “spider-web” turquoise.
RE: STARSTONE CONTROVERSY
There is, and always have been, a controversy over “starstones”. Starstones are NOT birthstones. I give you here in these pages the stones that are called your starstones, (planet stones), which vibrates the strongest to your planet or sign, NOT to the month that you were born. I would also like it if those who think they know precisely what their stone is to go to the library and reference some good Astrology books such as ‘Parkers Astrology’. Sorry for the confusion, but confusion over this topic has raged for hundreds of years.